Fernando Torres arrived in a £ 50 million deal – record transfer for a British club, which has always been his major stumbling block. So far, he has not been able to deliver for Chelsea. His poor goal return of just three goals from 20 matches does not speak volumes about the quality that he has always possessed. Slowly, but surely, he seems to be coming back to form.
Even though he was not involved in the Premier League match against Liverpool from the start, Fernando Torres hopes that he will be part of the first-team that takes on Liverpool in the Carling cup on Tuesday.
Fernando Torres has been on the bench for four successive matches. Even when he came on as a substitute, Torres has looked short of confidence. It has been one of the main reasons for Andre Villas-Boas deciding to bench the Spaniard. It has not been a good few months for the Spaniard, but Torres is hoping that he will be on the starting line-up for the match against Liverpool.
Even though Torres has not made any comments about being a starter in the match against Liverpool, Chelsea assistant manager Roberto di Matteo has said that it is that it’s likely that Torres would be involved from the start.
Further, there will be opportunities for youngsters who have not been able to get a game in the busy Premier League and Champions League fixture list. This would mainly include youngsters like Josh McEachran and Romelu Lukaku. Di Matteo said ahead of the match, “There are a lot of positive signs [with Torres]. I know we all expect our strikers to score, but if they don’t, you look at their performance in the team. We’ve been pleased. The goals will come, no doubt. He’s got great talent and has scored goals before.”